Friday, July 13, 2007

"When you're really rich then asparagus is yummy"

Lil Weezy, so eloquent.

To get the ball rolling I am going to post up a few random audio files from my own little stash. The first is an interlude that I made for Peter Agoston and his Female Fun label back around 2002. I sent it to him and he liked it, but I never gave him a clean copy of it and we never did anything with it. It was just supposed to be an interlude on a compilation. This was the first thing I ever tracked out in Pro Tools and it sounds like hot garbage. I had no idea what I was doing.

Controller 7 - "Dollar Bin Blues"








The second set of beats are straight off a TDK cassette tape. I generally use cassette tapes as a sketch book. If I am working on something and I like it I will record a bit of it on tape so that I can listen to it the next day without having to load up the beat. This got me into the bad habit of "I'll put the idea down on tape and then go back and remake it later." I would get lazy and not want to name the files and save them on the mpc, so I would just make the tape version and figure that I'd remake it when I felt like it. I'd usually end up forgetting what the samples were or not being able to recreate it the way it was on tape. So, some beats only exist on tape and these are two of them. They are both from around 2003 or 2004 and are basically just simple little demo loops.

Controller 7 - "Piano Drop"







Controller 7 - "Diamonds"






4 comments:

seen510 said...

I really like the last two beats. "Piano Drop" has a real haunting feel to it and "Diamonds" is just real funky. The one you said is crappy is pretty good as well.

bolinas said...

I really like diamonds. I wonder if you still check this blog any more. well it's great stuff.

Anonymous said...

I really like diamonds. Big up man, you got great stuff in this blog. I wonder if you still check it.

Anonymous said...

never got to hear these will you post these again?